About the Fair
Entrepreneurship and Innovation Education Unit (EIEU) of The Education University of Hong Kong Library has been offering different platforms for EdUHK students to acquire hands-on experience in entrepreneurship and innovation. On 22 and 23 January 2022 (Saturday & Sunday), EIEU will launch the “2022 Student Fair – EdUHK Lunar New Year Fair” at D2 Place One, Lai Chi Kok, providing EdUHK students a chance to run their own business, to learn from experts in the field, and to compete for awards in business planning, stall design, product design, etc. External partners such as EdUHK alumni, schools, PTAs, NGOs, social enterprises and commercial sponsors will be invited to participate to enhance diversity and synergy of the Student Fair.
11 am to 8 pm
22 & 23 January 2022 (Saturday & Sunday)
D2 Place One,
Lai Chi Kok
Briefing for EdUHK students
The briefing will be held online via Zoom on 27 Oct 2021 (Wed) at 3:00PM. EdUHK students will receive the meeting ID and passcode by email.
Guidelines For Stall Applicants
- “Organiser” refers to the Education University of Hong Kong Library and the 2022 Student Fair Organising Team.
- “Applicant” refers to individual EdUHK Student or a group of EdUHK Students applying for setting up and running a stall/2 stalls at the 2022 Student Fair.
- “Participant” refers to the Applicant who has been formally accepted in writing by the Organiser and has successfully paid the Participation Fee(s) and Deposit(s) for setting up and running a stall/2 stalls at the 2022 Student Fair.
- “Student Fair” refers to “2022 Student Fair – EdUHK Lunar New Year Fair” / “2022 學生市集 – 教大年宵”.
Eligibility and Requirements
- All EdUHK students, either part-time or full-time, are eligible to apply for participation. External partners such as EdUHK alumni, schools, PTAs, NGOs, social enterprises and commercial sponsors will be invited to participate by the Organiser to enhance diversity and synergy of the Student Fair.
- Since the number of stalls are limited, each applicant (whether an individual or a group) may submit one application only.
- Each individual applicant or group applicant may opt to apply for at most 2 adjacent stalls, subject to availability. Double Participation Fees and Deposits will apply if application for 2 adjacent stalls is accepted.
- This activity is partially funded by the UGC. Priority of acceptance will be given to local undergraduate students of EdUHK as required by the UGC.
- Participants are required to:
- attend all briefings and training workshops organised by the Organiser;
- submit a Business Plan on or before the date specified by the Organiser;
- clean and tidy up the assigned stall(s) and return all borrowed items when moving out;
- after the completion of Student Fair, submit an assessment and reflection report on or before the date specified by the Organiser; and
- provide data as required by the Organiser for enhancement of future programmes.
Participants will be entitled to redeem the $400 (for 1 stall) or $800 (for 2 stalls) Deposit(s) upon meeting all requirements described in this paragraph.
- Information on the goods/services (e.g. hand crafted products) must be provided in advance, and tally with the actual situation of the Student Fair. Participants failing to do so may be disqualified by the Organiser. In addition to tangible goods, artistic and professional services may also be provided at the stalls, e.g. handicraft workshops, portrait drawing, photography, games, etc.
- Assignment, contracting and/or sub-letting of stalls or parts of stalls by the Participants to any third parties is strictly prohibited. Any Participant found to be in breach of this sub-letting prohibition will be asked to immediately remove all illegitimate third party materials and business information. The Organiser reserves the right to claim for any losses caused by assignment, contracting and/or sub-letting of stalls or parts of stalls by the Participants and terminate the participation of such Participants.
- Applicants may propose to collaborate with external parties (e.g. alumni, schools, NGOs, social enterprises) in running the stalls. Full details must be provided in the application for consideration by the Organiser. If accepted, the Applicants/Participants will remain to be solely and fully responsible for discharging all responsibilities of their participation in the Student Fair.
- The Organiser reserves the right to reject any application base on absolute sole discretion without assigning any reasons.
- Participation Fee of $400 (non-refundable) and Deposit of $400 (refundable upon meeting all conditions and requirements in paragraph 9) must be paid immediately upon formal acceptance by the Organiser.
- Double Participation Fees of $800 and double Deposits of $800 will apply if application for 2 adjacent stalls is accepted.
- Request for refund will not be considered once payment is made. Redeem of Deposit(s) must be made in accordance with all conditions and requirements specified in paragraph 9.
- Participation Fees and Deposits will not be refunded to Participants disqualified by the Organiser or withdraw on their own accord for whatever reason.
- The Organiser will review and ensure that the applications are qualified according to all terms and conditions of the Student Fair. If the number of qualified applications exceed the number of stalls available, the Organiser will select applications according to criteria predefined by the Organiser, including but not limited to: priority for local undergraduate students as required by the UGC, relevancy to the aims and objectives of the Student Fair, expected learning experience in entrepreneurship and innovation, viability of the proposed business, attractiveness, expected customer base, etc. The Organiser will also select applications of similar nature and/or proposing similar merchandise and services on a first-come-first-served basis. All decisions of the Organiser shall be final and no appeal will be accepted.
- The Organiser has the sole and absolute discretion in allotting stall for each accepted Participant. All decisions including stall location shall be final and no request for change will be entertained.
- Each standard stall comprises one 120 cm x 60 cm (approx.) table and 2 chairs.
- Participants must attend fully all two days of the Student Fair (i.e. 22 and 23 January 2022) and ensure that their stalls are manned and open during the opening hours (i.e. 11:00 am to 8:00 pm) by at least one authorized representative who shall be fully responsible for the operation of the respective stall.
- Participants are only allowed to set up their allocated stalls at the timeslots specified by the Organiser.
- Participants shall pack up and vacate their allocated stalls by 10:00 pm on the last day of the Student Fair, unless otherwise stated.
- All audio-visual equipment must generate a noise level which does not cause any annoyance or inconvenience to other Participants and visitors.
- All tables, chairs and items borrowed by the Participants must be returned to the Organiser in good condition at the end of the Student Fair. If the Participants are found intentionally damaging or losing the borrowed items, the person at fault must pay the University for loss or damage up to the full value or as charged by the venue provider.
- Participants shall be responsible for the disposal of their stalls’ trash and refuse by the end of the Student Fair operation.
Display and Merchandising Requirements
- Participants can only sell merchandise and services declared on their application forms unless with exemption granted by the Organiser.
- Sale of the following items is strictly prohibited:
- Food and beverage without appropriate licences issued by the authorities
- Unlicenced, banned products or items which violate any trademarks or intellectual properties
- Offensive weapons, firearms, ammunition, explosives, radioactive materials, flammable substances, obscene articles, poisons and illegal drugs and associated paraphernalia
- Any form of alcohol or tobacco products
- Any animals or parts of animals
- Any items or materials of the following nature: i) provocative; ii) defamatory; and/or iii) spreading hate speech
- Any other items, merchandise or goods that are prohibited by laws or considered inappropriate by the Organiser
- The Participants warrant that all merchandise to be sold at the stalls do not violate the laws of Hong Kong SAR. All merchandise to be sold or services to be provided must be legal in Hong Kong market and if any licences or permits are required for such marketing, selling or possession, the Participants must obtain the appropriate licences or permits. The Participants must at all times be compliant with any laws or regulations governing the marketing, sale, importation and possession of such products or provision of such services.
Competition and Awards
- The Organiser will set up a competition among all EdUHK Student Participants with different categories of awards to be adjudicated by a panel of Academic Advisors and representatives of the Organising Team. Specific award(s) may be voted by visitors of the Student Fair. Please see “EdUHK Student Competition Regulations” (Appendix 2) for details.
Termination of Right to Participate
- If the Organiser is of the view that behaviours or actions of particular Participants are illegal, offensive, dangerous, and/or potentially inconsistent with the Organiser’s/Student Fair’s objectives, the Organiser has the full authority to terminate the participation of such Participants.
- If any Participants are found to have committed any acts which, in the opinion of the Organiser, might prejudice or damage the reputation and/or image of the Student Fair or the University, the Organiser has the full authority to terminate the participation of such Participants.
- In the event that particular Participants’ right to participate in the Student Fair is terminated by the Organiser, the Participants shall have no claim for refund of any monies paid to the Organiser or any form of compensation.
Change and Cancellation of Student Fair
- The Organiser reserves the right to change the date(s) and/or venue of the Student Fair to other date(s) and/or venue (including but not limited to postponing to later date(s)) as the Organiser deems fit, or cancel, or shorten the duration of the Student Fair at any time without incurring any liability whatsoever to the Participants due to circumstances beyond the Organiser’s control including but not limited to major disruption of transport system, public health conditions, extreme weather conditions, actions of the venue provider, etc.
- If the Student Fair is cancelled due to special circumstances, it shall be rescheduled to date(s) and venue determined by the Organiser. Alternatively, the Organiser may offer the participants to join the next Student Fair as compensation.
Additional Rules and Regulations
- The Organiser reserves the right to interpret, alter and amend any of these guidelines and to issue additional rules and regulations at any time it considers necessary for the orderly operation of the Student Fair.
- Participants must also comply with all regulations and guidelines imposed by the venue provider.
- The Organiser shall not be held responsible for any dispute or liability arising from the sale of merchandise or services provided by the Participants.
- The Organiser undertakes no financial or legal responsibility for any type of risk concerning or affecting the Participants/visitors, their personal belongings and merchandise.
- Doing business involves risk. Applicants must fully understand that there will be chances of money losses, and they should consider their own investment objectives and risk tolerance level. The Applicants acknowledge that the Organiser has given no commitment or guarantee as regards the number of visitors to the Student Fair and the results of the Student Fair, and agree that they have no claim against the Organiser in this connection.
This section is for EdUHK Students participants only.
Two Academic Advisors and two Student Members of the Organising Team
Prizes for Each Award
a) Certificate of Award
b) $500 book coupon
Announcement of Awards
Wednesday, 26 January 2022
Award 1: The Best Business Plan
- Judging: Assessment by Judging Panel (100%)
- Business Plan Submission Deadline: Monday, 3 January 2022
- Judging Criteria:
Criteria Weighing Remarks Originality of products and services 40% Innovation in operational model and marketing strategies 40% Feasibility of the operational model (e.g. risk control, marketing strategies, market analysis, financial management, etc.) Organisation skills and team building 10% Team building / person-in-charge’s overall planning Presentation 5% Executive summary, overall presentation, tidiness, preparation, etc. Reasonable profit prediction 5% Financial viability of the business
Award 2: The Best Stall Design
- Judging: (a) Assessment by Judging Panel (50%) and (b) Voting by all visitors (50%)
- Judging Criteria:
Criteria Weighing Remarks Creativity in naming of stall (by Judging Panel) 5% Creativity of stall’s name; can it reflect its business nature Overall design, theme and decoration of stall (by Judging Panel) 45% Aesthetics and attractiveness of the stall, whether it can help draw target customers and stand out from the rest Voting by all visitors 50% Each visitor can cast one vote to the stall they considered with the best design
Award 3: The Most Popular Stall
- Judging: Voting by all visitors (100%) – Each visitor can vote at most three favourite stalls. The stall receiving the highest votes will be the winner.
Award 4: The Best Product Design
- Judging: Assessment by Judging Panel (100%)
- Judging Criteria:
Criteria Weighing Creativity 25% Overall design and functionality 25% Manufacturing standard and craftsmanship 25% Sustainability and environmental friendliness 25%
Product(s) of the winning team will be recommended to be official souvenir(s) of the University and/or for sale at the University’s souvenir shop.